THE 2ND LAMPARA YOUNG ADULT STORY WRITING CONTEST
THE 2ND LAMPARA YOUNG ADULT STORY WRITING CONTEST
(Sponsored by Lampara Publishing House, Incorporated)
Download mechanics here.
Download application form here.
ABOUT THE CONTEST
1. The contest aims to find suitable stories for young adults, ages 12-18, for publication by Lampara Publishing House, Inc. under its book imprint Lampara Books.
2. Accepted as entries are young adult stories written by Filipino citizens of all ages capable of writing a story, except the current officers and employees of Lampara Publishing House, Inc. and its sister company, Precious Pages Corporation, including their relatives up to the second degree of consanguinity or affinity.
3. The story:
a. must be an original work of the author.
b. must be written in Filipino.
c. must have a significant moral lesson, and a strong narrative voice.
d. must have a one-page synopsis.
4. The word length for the entry is from 40,000 to 50,000 words.
5. The theme is open and free.
6. The participant can submit his/her entry/entries directly, through snail mail or courier service.
a. For direct submission, provide one (1) printed/hard copy of the entry and the synopsis, plus one (1) digital/soft copy of the same entry (in CD); these should be placed in a long brown envelope. On the lower left corner of the envelope, write the title of the entry.
b. For submission through snail mail or courier service, provide one (1) printed copy of the entry and synopsis, plus one (1) digital copy of the same entry (in CD); these should be placed in a long brown envelope. On the lower left corner of the envelope, write the title of the entry. Must be postmarked not later than July 27, 2018.
7. Digital format of the entry: text should be in 12-point Arial or Times New Roman font, single-spaced; 00.50” tab for paragraph indention; 1.25” margin on top, bottom, left and right sides; paginated. The digital format should conform to the size-format of the hard/printed copy, which must be on 8.5” x 11” size bond paper; pages should be bound by a fastener either on the top or left side.
8. Any number of entries can be submitted by an author.
9. The entry:
a. should not have won any award in another contest before July 27, 2018. Neither should have it been published in any form prior to the said date.
b. must be accompanied by an entry form downloaded from www.lamparabooks.com.ph. The entry form must be contained in a sealed white business envelope, on the lower left corner of which is written the title of the entry. The envelope must be enclosed with the submission (manuscript, CD) contained in the long brown envelope mentioned in Item 6. a and b.
c. must also be accompanied by a notarized document (affidavit) attesting to the story as an original personal work of the author submitting it as an entry.
10. For those who will submit directly or through snail mail or courier service, address submission to:
THE SECOND LAMPARA BOOKS YOUNG ADULT STORY WRITING CONTEST
LAMPARA PUBLISHING HOUSE, INC.
#16 STO. DOMINGO AVE.,
1115 QUEZON CITY
It should be cared of Ms. Aiko Clarizza Buduan-Salazar of the Editorial Department of Lampara Publishing House, Inc.
11. Direct submissions or those sent via snail mail or courier service shall be issued an acknowledgement document upon receipt of the submission by the designated custodian of all entries.
12. All entries must be received on or before July 27, 2018 (Friday) at the close of office hours of Lampara Publishing House, Inc. For snail mail, it must be postmarked no later than July 27, 2017 (Friday).
13. Entries submitted must comply with government policies on printed matters.
14. All sealed envelopes containing the entries shall be kept in a filing cabinet drawer under lock and key by the designated custodian of all entries, and shall only be brought out on the day commencing the start of the judging date.
15. Final judging shall be on September 7, 2018 (Friday), at 3:00 p.m. at the Lampara Publishing House, Inc. conference room.
16. Lampara Publishing House, Inc. has the sole right to designate the persons who shall constitute the Board of Judges.
17. There is one major prize at stake:
First – Php 35,000.00
The winner will likewise be given scrolls of merit/plaques.
18. Three entries may be chosen as Honorable Mention depending on their literary merits. Honorable Mention awardees shall also be given scrolls of merit/plaques. Their entries will be published by Lampara Publishing House, Inc. and given due compensation based on the current talent fees standardized by the publishing industry.
19. The prize shall be subjected to the 20% tax and shall be shouldered by the winner.
20. Manager’s checks with the corresponding amount of prize and scroll of merit/plaque shall be handed to the author of the winning entry on the date and venue indicated in Item 25—only after verification of their identities against the personal information contained in the entry form. Identification cards issued by the government, with corresponding photographs and signatures, shall be preferred.
21. CRITERIA FOR JUDGING
The following criteria shall be used by the judges in evaluating and judging the entries to determine the winners:
a. CONTENT / 60%
Subject or topic—must be creative, novel or contemporary, fully explored and developed
Plot—must be creative, novel or contemporary, fully explored and developed
Narrative Voice—or Writer’s Statement—must be truthful and strong
b. TREATMENT / 20%
Language—must be within the vocabulary range of readers 12 years old and over
Comprehensibility—writing must be within the understanding of readers 12 years old and over
Fun and enjoyment must be derived from reading the story
c. MORAL VALUES / 20%
Moral lesson—must be distinct; fully explored, developed and transmitted to the reader
Insight—must be distinct; fully explored, developed and transmitted to the reader
22. An author who submits more than one entry may emerge a double or multiple winner.
23. a. The names of the winners and the members of the Board of Judges shall be announced on the Lampara Books Web site: www.lamparabooks.com.ph on September 14, 2018 (Friday). The news release shall likewise be disseminated on Facebook.
b. Notification through registered mail shall also be sent to the authors of the winning entries on the same day.
24. The awarding ceremony will be held at the SMX Mall of Asia International Convention Center in September 2018 during the annual 39th Manila International Book Fair.
25. a. If a winner is unable to attend the awarding ceremony, he/she may claim his/her prize within 60 (sixty) days from receipt of notice at the Lampara Publishing House, Inc. at #16 Sto. Domingo Ave., Quezon City.
b. Upon claiming the prize, the winner must present 2 (two) valid government IDs.
26. Any unclaimed prize after the redemption period will be forfeited in behalf of Lampara Publishing House, Inc.
27. The winning entry will be published by Lampara Publishing House, Inc. Apart from the cash prize awards, it will purchase from the author/s their winning stories, the selling price of each of which shall be determined by the prevailing sale of and tax provisions regarding literary works in the publishing industry.
The sale shall be covered by and accomplished with a Deed of Sale.
28. Therefore, with regards to Item 27, Lampara Publishing House, Inc. shall have the absolute right to publish at its own discretion the winning entries or portions thereof, and to designate or appoint editors to edit the work or any portion thereof to suit the demands of publication.
29. Manuscripts of non-winning entries must be claimed by the authors within 60 (sixty) days after the announcement of winners. Unclaimed manuscripts shall be subjected to recycling and/or shredding.
30. All parties submitting entries are deemed to have accepted the rules of the contest, and agree to abide by them.