THE NINTH ANNUAL LAMPARA BOOKS CHILDREN’S STORY WRITING CONTEST
THE NINTH ANNUAL LAMPARA BOOKS CHILDREN’S STORY WRITING CONTEST
Download form here.
ABOUT THE CONTEST
1. The contest aims to find suitable stories for children for publication as illustrated children’s books by Lampara Publishing House, Inc. under its book imprint Lampara Books.
2. Accepted as entries are children’s stories written by Filipino citizens of all ages capable of writing a story, except the current officers and employees of Lampara Publishing House, Inc. and its sister company, Precious Pages Corporation, including their relatives up to the second degree of consanguinity or affinity.
3. The story:
a. must be an original work of the author.
b. can be written in either Filipino/Tagalog or English.
c. should be written in a way that it can be divided into fourteen (14) segments or frames. (Each segment shall be illustrated on a spread of the book, whose actual size is 8 x 9 inches. For guidance, please refer to published children’s stories of Lampara Books).
d. must be within the reading comprehension of children from ages five to 12.
e. must have a significant moral lesson, and a strong narrative voice.
4. The word length for the entry is from 800 to 1200.
5. The theme is open and free.
6. The manuscript:
a. must be typewritten or a computerized printout, double-spaced on 8 ½ X 11 inches bond paper, with approximately one-inch margin on all sides. The page number must appear consecutively, that is: 1 of 5, 2 of 5 and so on, at the center of the bottom margin of each page. If computerized, the font should be either Arial, Times New Roman or Book Antiqua, and the font size should be 12pt.
b. must bear on the front/title page only the title of the story and the pen name of the author.
c. must be submitted in triplicate.
d. must be placed in a sealed short brown envelope for submission, on the lower left corner of which is written the title of the entry.
7. Any number of entries can be submitted by an author.
8. The entry:
a. should not have won any award in another contest before December 16, 2019. Neither should have it been published in any form prior to the said date.
b. must be accompanied by an entry form downloaded from www.lamparabooks.com.ph. The entry form must be contained in a sealed white business envelope, on the lower left corner of which is written the title of the entry. The envelope must be enclosed with the submission (manuscript) contained in the short brown envelope mentioned in Item 6.c.
c. must also be accompanied by a notarized document (affidavit) attesting to the story as an original personal work of the author submitting it as an entry.
9. The entry should be submitted to:
THE NINTH LAMPARA BOOKS CHILDREN’S STORY WRITING CONTEST
LAMPARA PUBLISHING HOUSE, INC.
5TH FLOOR PRECIOUS PAGES BUILDING
#16 STO. DOMINGO AVENUE
1115 QUEZON CITY
It should be cared of Ms. Aiko Clarizza Buduan-Salazar of the Editorial Department of Lampara Publishing House, Inc.
10. Submissions must be delivered personally by the author or his/her representative or sent via messenger service to the above address. The author/representative/messenger shall be issued an acknowledgement document upon receipt of the submission by the designated custodian of all entries.
11. All entries must be received on or before December 16, 2019 (Monday) at the close of office hours of Lampara Publishing House, Inc.
12. Entries submitted must comply with government policies on printed matters.
13. All sealed envelopes containing the entries shall be kept in a filing cabinet drawer under lock and key by the designated custodian of all entries, and shall only be brought out on the day commencing the start of the judging date.
14. Judging shall be on January 10, 2019 (Friday), at 3:00 p.m. at the Lampara Publishing House, Inc.’s conference room.
15. Lampara Publishing House, Inc. has the sole right to designate the persons who shall constitute the Board of Judges.
16. There is only one major prize at stake:
Grand Prize – Php 30,000.00
The winner will likewise be given scrolls of merit.
17. Three entries may be chosen as Honorable Mention depending on the literary merits of the entries. Honorable Mention awardees shall also be given plaques. Their entries will be published by Lampara Books and given due compensation based on the current talent fees standardized by the publishing industry.
18. The grand prize shall be subjected to the 20% tax and shall be shouldered by the winner.
19. Manager’s checks with the corresponding amount of prize and certificates of merit shall be handed to the authors of the winning entries on the date and venue indicated in Items 23 and 24—only after verification of their identities against the personal information contained in the entry form. Identification cards issued by the government, with corresponding photographs and signatures, shall be preferred.
20. CRITERIA FOR JUDGING
The following criteria shall be used by the judges in evaluating and judging the entries to determine the winners:
a. CONTENT / 60%
Subject or topic—must be creative, novel or contemporary, fully explored and developed
Plot—must be creative, novel or contemporary, fully explored and developed
b. TREATMENT / 20%
Language—must be within the vocabulary range of readers five to 12 years old
Comprehensibility—writing must be within the understanding of readers from five to 12 years old
Fun and enjoyment must be derived from reading the story
c. MORAL VALUES / 20%
Moral lesson—must be distinct; fully explored, developed and transmitted to the reader
Insight—must be distinct; fully explored, developed and transmitted to the reader
21. An author who submits more than one entry may emerge a double or multiple winner.
22. a. The names of the winners and the members of the Board of Judges shall be announced on the Lampara Books Web site: www.lamparabooks.com.ph on January 24, 2020 (Friday). The news release shall likewise be disseminated on Facebook.
b. Notification through registered mail shall also be sent to the authors of the winning entries on the same day.
23. The awarding ceremonies will be held at the Precious Events Center, Precious Pages Building, 16 Sto. Domingo Ave., Quezon City, on January 31, 2020 (Friday).
24. a. If a winner is unable to attend the awarding ceremony, he/she may claim his/her prize within 60 (sixty) days from receipt of notice at the Lampara Publishing House, Inc. business-editorial offices at 16 Sto. Domingo Ave., Quezon City.
b. Upon claiming the prize, the winner must present 2 (two) valid government IDs.
25. Any unclaimed prize after the redemption period will be forfeited in behalf of Lampara Publishing House, Inc.,
26. Copyrights of the winning entries shall remain with their respective authors; however, Lampara Publishing House, Inc. shall reserve the right to publish any winning entry, in which case, apart from the cash prize award, it will purchase from the author his/her winning story, the selling price of which shall be determined by the prevailing sale of and tax provisions regarding literary works in the publishing industry.
The sale shall be covered by and accomplished with a Deed of Sale.
27. Therefore, with regard to Item 26, Lampara Publishing House, Inc. shall publish at its own discretion any of the winning entries or portions thereof, whether in print, electronic or through broadcast media, and to designate or appoint editors to edit the work or any portion thereof to suit the demands of publication.
28. Manuscripts of non-winning entries must be claimed by the authors within 60 (sixty) days after the announcement of winners. Unclaimed manuscripts shall be subjected to recycling and/or shredding.
29. All parties submitting entries are deemed to have accepted the rules of the contest, and agree to abide by them.